Diverse background in software maintenance. Primary experience in Java but branching out to Full Stack development and software testing. I enjoy a challange and gaining new skills. Motivated and team-oriented.
IBM Services Center: Lansing, United States
10/2012 - To date
Project Description: System integration testing. Building knowledge of connected systems. Extensive work and documentation in a mainframe environment. Further testing and documentation within a Pre-Development environment that is unknown and poorly tested.
Project Description: Managed technical support team. The position required quickly gaining knowledge of DNS and Salesforce. Working with school districts to help make a transition to a new web host.
I worked with an international maintenance and support team to address/resolve and test application issues. I promoted team documentation that improved that support. I worked/repaired Java-based programs and pushed them to production.
Application Description: (Two out of thirty applications supported by the IBM team.)
Web and Client tool Reporting tool - Three tiered application with local client, web client and Sap interaction. A Reporting tool used on the factory floor and was vital to the client.
The application was handed over to the team with a history of performance issues that were tolerated. The application crashed on a holiday weekend causing massive outages. Outage was due to mismanaged messaging database within JBoss.
Required an application rebuild. This build was coordinated by me and my US-based partner. Proposed to transfer messaging queue from JBoss to a managed MQ database. This required reconfiguration of the application, done by my partner. I created the design and requirement documentation for this change. I also managed interaction with the Business while coding was completed.
Parts Batch tool: Java application passed to team to maintain. The application ran a batch of fifty queries. It began by deleting most of the previous data. It acquired new data from a host process then updated or inserted the data back into the databases.
Passed to the team with little information and guidance. The application was slow and inefficient.
I built up documentation and understanding of the application. I implemented a policy of fixing the root cause of the issue instead of patching. I supported this application for a year while changing the methods to repair inefficiencies. This included increasing memory and repairs by the DBAs in the database.
12/2012 - 06/2013
State of Florida
Project Description: I worked with the Maintenance and Operations team to ensure that Priority 1 issues were dealt with quickly. I also worked with ADA compliant issues and applied the corrections to the application. I worked on trouble-ticket issues, including Word templates and other application bugs. I also worked for a short time on a project that included creating a JSP page. Lastly, I strived to complete a knowledge-base for the project to improve developer efficiency with frequent issues.